Here is the link to the tutorial that will teach you how to export the WordPress blog (or the student iFolio) and import it in a new personal WordPress site. In the process, you will be asked to put in the staff or students’ credentials to access the site.
Student blog site address is : http://sites.cdnis.edu.hk/students/
Login Username is : student number
Login Password is : student’s network password (if forgot, please obtain from OneDoor)
If a leaving student has a WordPress account, it can be exported and imported onto a new personal WordPress account. Please be reminded that the free WordPress personal blog doesn’t restore your media files (ie. photos, videos, audio files). If needed, after importing onto a new site, the media files could be downloaded to a personal space for storage. Or choose to apply for a paid (with media) WordPress account at https://wordpress.com/.
Students should export their WordPress files before the last day of attending CDNIS. After that the account will be disabled.
See this video tutorial (https://vimeo.com/116316322) for instructions.
How to keep your current site, delete or disable outdated content
- Delete old posts (If you choose to disable posts rather than delete, since they take up space in your site, make sure they are absolutely necessary!)
- Click on the top box of all the posts to select all the posts on this page
- Click on Posts > All Posts
- Go to the Dashboard of your blog
- To delete all, choose Bulk Actions > Move to Trash, then click Apply
- To keep them as archive for future reference, choose Bulk Actions > Edit, then click Apply
- In the editing box, change the Status so that all posts will become Drafts. Then click on Update to confirm
- Repeat the steps for all the pages of posts that you want to delete or archive
2. Clean out any media gallery pictures or PDF that are outdated in your media library. As server space is limited and for best practise, we recommend you to use Google Photos for photo upload, and Vimeo or Youtube for video upload. Cloud computing!
- Go to the Dashboard of your blog
- Click on Media
- Click on Bulk Select and then select the media that you want to delete
- To delete them, click Delete Selected
At the end of school year, parents are recommended to unsubscribe to your child’s teacher websites.
Step 1: Look at the bottom of email updates that you get from your class blog and click on the UNSUBSCRIBE NOW link. (see below picture as an example)
Step 2: Then it will open your internet browser and you will see a message from Feed Burner. Click on the button that says: Yes, unsubscribe me now
Step 3: Then you will see a confirmation message that means you are done with the process and you won’t receive any more update notification from this website.
Installing the Subscribe by Email Plugin
(because Feedburner is undependable)
In Dashboard, click on Plugins.
Check Subscribe by Email, then click on Activate
After Subscribe by Email is activated, you can find Subscriptions in your Dashboard toolbar. Click on it, and go to Settings.
Choose email frequency from the dropdown menu and any other customisations you prefer.
Go to Appearance>Widgets.
Find and click on Subscribe by Email, select your desired location, and click Add Widget.
Change the order of your widgets by dragging and dropping them into your desired layout.
This is how the widget will appear on your site.
Click here to see video tutorial about WordPress and how to set up a teacher blog.